Monday, March 28, 2011

USC Receives $200 Million in Donation

As a Trojan, I'm very excited to hear this news! 

USC Alumnus Donald Dornsife and his wife Dana presented USC's College of Letter, Arts, and Sciences with an unrestricted endowment of $200 million. This beats George Lucas' $175 million donation to USC in 2006. According to Pamela Johnson of USC News, Dornsifes' endowment marks "the largest naming gift in the history of higher education for a college of letters, arts, and sciences." 

Check out a celebration video of Donald and Dana Dornsife. It's narrated by USC Professor Kevin Starr, whom was inducted into the California Hall of Fame last year by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. 



Unrestricted, you say? Now that's impressive. But Donald Dornsife believed it was a simple decision. He said, "We think we understand the people who are going to administer the gift. We have a lot of faith in them. And if it's a good friend of mine, I say, 'They don't tell me how to put a steel building up. And I don't tell them how to run a university." 

President Nikias is bringing serious dough. On the day of Nikias' inauguration in October, 2010, USC Trustee Ming Hsieh and the Annenberg foundation announced that they will donation $50 million donations each to fund cancer research and journalist education. That's another $100 million for my beloved school! 

When I was a freshman, I always hear about how strong the Trojan network is. As a senior, I am grateful to witness it in action. I'm very proud to be a Trojan. Fight on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment